It is always the best idea to go through a complete Exchange Online migration checklist before heading towards this error-prone data transfer procedure in Office 365. So let’s get into it!
In the global business mainstream, companies are moving to the Exchange online platform. And, the numbers are increasing day by day. It’s not hard to believe, since Office 365 provides its user to stay connected, productive, and transparent.
However, the process of migration itself is a very complex task to accomplish. It’s similar to a war mission, where you have to be prepared from every point of view to succeed with flying colors.
Hence, to make things easier for a smooth transition, we’ve come up with this article which covers Exchange online migration checklist & project plan. Also, everything that you will need to keep in mind while thinking of a safe Office 365 migration.
So, without further ado let’s discuss every aspect of the topic.
What are The Four Stages of the Exchange Online Migration Process?
To make the migration process simpler, let’s divide the complex task into smaller parts. In this way, you will be able to easily manage and keep track of every decision.
Now, to talk about the four stages, the stages of the complete Exchange Online migration checklist are Planning, Pre-migration checklist, Choosing the right Method, Post-migration checklist.
Once you keep these stages in your mind while migration then the process won’t be as difficult as it seems.
So, let’s have an in-depth discussion about all four steps.
Stage#1- Planning that Sorts Out the Exchange Online Migration in Order
Statistically speaking, behind every successful project, there’s 90% planning and 10% execution. So, plan the whole thing out. Take one step at a time for a stress-free migration.
- Draw an outline of the process i.e. how, when, and where you want to move your data.
- Dig deeper and analyze your data and requirements. Also, don’t forget to check for data redundancy and unused content.
- It’s always important to stick to your plan. Make a list of your existing data and prioritize them in order.
- You need to set a practical time period for completing the migration process. And, make it genuine according to your data size.
- Keep the pre-migration checklist handy to avoid the speed bumps of the migration process. You will find the detailed explanation in the next section.
- For a productive migration process, you need laser-like focus and a strong commitment to staying on the task patiently.
Stage#2- Pre-migration Checklist of Exchange Online/ Office 365 Migration to Keep the Issues at Distance
There are a few points that the pre-migration checklist includes. So, let’s have a look at the same.
- Communication: You need to establish proper communication about the migration process among the employees. Like, when and how is it going to be carried out? So that, they will be ready to face the possible impacts.
- Analysis: It is very important to analyze the on-premise inventory and make a list of the below information.
- All the names of user mailboxes as well as shared resources and their sizes.
- Desired storage locations, client versions(Browser, Operating System, Office appliances), and their configurations.
- Internet connectivity, DNS hosts, Proxy server, Firewall configuration, available bandwidth range, DNS records, etc.
- Inspection: Thoroughly examine the current environment before migrating. Like,
- Account creation methods
- Number of licenses that you may require for user accounts
- Is network capacity suitable for the migration process or require improvement?
- Are end-users trained enough? If not then arrange to provide the same.
- Firewall deployment, Authentication setting, antivirus installation for user accounts, etc.
- Maintain To-do List: That means it’s time to prepare the data for migration. Which involves,
- Updating Active directory
- Discarding unused user accounts
- Matching the UPN of both the source and destination environment
- Ensuring Offline and online archiving facilities
- Configuration: Setting up Office 365 accounts for migration is equally important. For that,
- You must have enough Office 365 subscriptions and licenses
- Verification of each and every domain name is mandatory
- Make sure all the security permissions, applications for use, etc are in place.
- Try a test run of the migration
Stage#3- Choosing the Appropriate Method for Office 365 / Exchange Online Migration Can Save the Day
There are a lot of options available on the internet. But, don’t you think, to carry out such a complex task like migration needs expert hands?
That’s why IT experts have come up with the software Office 365 to Office 365 Migration Tool to make the transition smoother. Also, it is recommended by many professionals across the globe for its unique features.
So, make the right choice of taking the help of the tool to pull off this complicated mission.
Stage#4- Leave no Stone Unturned with the Post-migration Checklist
Your job doesn’t end after successfully migrating data from source to destination. You need to cross-check the below post-migration checklist.
- Redirecting email accounts of users to Office 365 account
- As soon as the migration process completes assign Office 365 licenses
- Enable the Autodiscovery DNS records to mailboxes to Outlook emails clients
- Lastly, deactivate the source environment
Office 365 migration may seem difficult unless you have the Exchange Online Migration Checklist to guide you. Hence, it is advised to follow the standard procedure that is divided into four stages to accomplish the complex task efficiently.