If you are planning to migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365, you might get confused between the migration methods, as there are several options available. However, choosing the wrong approach can lead to data loss, or accidental data corruption & deletion.
Before performing this task you should be well aware of the manual methods, and their drawbacks, moreover, you must be technically sound to execute the whole process, to avoid any error encountered. So, what are the technicalities you might face? And what is the reliable way to move mailbox from Exchange 2013 to O365?
Let’s learn from scratch! In this informative guide, you will get to know about all the manual ways, as well as each and every step, to execute the above technical operation, ensuring maximum data security and integrity.
Why Do We Need to Migrate Exchange 2013 to Microsoft 365 (Office 365)? Top Reasons
The first and the very most reason, to perform this data transfer is because of the announcement of Microsoft about Exchange 2013. As we all know, it is already into its extended support period that will be ending in April 2023.
After which, user’s of Exchange 2013 will not get any security updates and critical hybrid update integration. Because of this organizations using this server are now considering to migrate Exchange 2013 to Exchange Online /Office 365.
Some of the Other Reasons for Moving to Exchange Online could be as follows:
- The cost of a subscription is quite low compared to the cost of maintaining aging servers.
- Features, security updates, and critical hybrid integrations are more frequent & Instant in Office 365.
- There are various options for seamless scalability, as Microsoft 365 licenses can be added and canceled based on requirements.
- The efficiency of IT services in O365 is way more increased compared to Exchange 2013.
These are some of the few reasons, there might be several reasons for the same! However, our motive is to find the solution. Therefore let’s directly dive into the solutions available for the same operation.
Quick & Top Most Used Way to Move Mailbox from Exchange 2013 to Office 365
One of the most reliable ways to perform this operation with maximum data security and integrity is to choose a Professional & Most Used Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool.
There are various other features that make it a one-stop solution for users who are seeking a way to migrate mailbox from Exchange 2013 to Office 365.
Some of the features are as follows:
- Easily migrate emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and documents with maximum data safety.
- Offers a comprehensive migration from Exchange to Office 365 in just a few steps.
- Keeps the integrity and hierarchy of migrated data and folders.
- Gives you a date filter to
- Comes with a Pause & Resume button for Exchange 2013 migration.
- Works flawlessly without any mailbox data size limitation.
- Provides an option to prioritize user accounts for the migration process.
Working Steps along with Screenshots to Migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365
Step 1. Download, install and launch the above mentioned software and choose Source & Destination Platform as Exchange and Office 365 respectively.
Step 2. Now from the workload selection choose the required mailbox items from the list such as emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and documents. You can use the date filter for selective data migration.
Step 3. Log in using your Exchange Server IP and Admin Credentials and click on the validate button.
Step 4. Now, use your destination Office 365 Admin account credentials such as Admin Email & Application ID. Then, Validate them by clicking on validate button.
Step 5. Create bulk user mapping using any of these methods Fetch Users, Import Users, and Download Template. Then validate all the required permissions by hitting the validate button.
Step 6. In this last step, hit the Start Migration button to migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365.
What are the Manual Methods Available to Move Mailbox from Exchange 2013 to Office 365
There are 4 types of migration offered by Microsoft as follows:
- Exchange Cutover Migration
- Staged Exchange Migration
- Hybrid Exchange Deployment-based Migration
- IMAP-based Email Migration
Limitations of Manual Methods to Move Mailbox from Exchange 2013 to Office 365
All the above mentioned manual approach has various limitations and shortcoming some of them are as follow:
- Naive users might find these approaches complex and time consuming due to their IT technicalities and at various times it gets lagged while executing the same operation.
- Users can not migrate data selectively as there is the absence of a date filter in the manual method.
- There are chances that users may lose some crucial data at the post migration stage.
- Data integrity and hierarchy might get compromised at the post migration stage.
Therefore in order to overcome these challenges faced by users, we suggest you to use the above mentioned professional software to perform this type of data migration safely.
In this guide, we have covered the need to migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365, as well as we have discussed the limitations of manual way. And we have shown you the best way to perform this technical operation with the help of the tool.
By following the above discussed step by step guide, users can easily and safely move mailbox from Exchange 2013 to Office 365.